Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Look Like a Butterfly


Do you know what "to do a butterfly" means?

The last time I was in Costa Rica I wanted to try one of the canopy zip trails. So, while in Monteverde, I signed up for the zipline tour through the Cloud Forest. I have to admit after signing up the night before I had a tremendous amount of apprehension. They told me at the hotel that if they didn't get enough people to sign up the trip would be canceled. So I kept hoping that it might be canceled and I could at least say that I tried to do a canopy tour!

Well, no such luck. The following morning there was a small group going and they were all pretty gung ho, jock types and could not wait to get there. This is so unbelievably well organized when you get there, they explain all the safety features and put you in a harness like a window washer. You climb up some trees (there are pegs in the side of the tree) and also cross over some swinging rope bridges en route to a platform which is built high up around the tree. Keep in mind that it is also hilly so from one tree platform to another in the rain forest there is an incline which is what actually makes you go flying Tarzan style along the zip line from one tree top platform to another! Also, when you land there is another person waiting for you on that platform and helps you brake (hopefully not break!) as you are going quite fast, also there is something like a gym floor mat wrapped around the actual tree.

I was quite nervous and I guess the staff sensed this as they chose me to be the first person to go! In a way, it was the best thing as I didn't have time to think. It was exhilarating. Most people get to walk in a rain forest but to be up in the canopy seeing everything from this vantage point is really something. Monkeys, birds, etc.

Oh, back to the butterfly. Although I did see actual butterflies, "doing the butterfly" is something quite different. One of the staff members asked me "mariposa?" I didn't understand him until he explained that we go down the zip line together, with my legs wrapped around his waist, hanging upside down so that from the air, we look like a butterfly. Pretty cool, huh? I can't really believe iI did this, actually twice! The first time the person taking my photo jammed their camera. I thought if I am going to do this , at least let me get it on film. So I had to do it a second time. If the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it..... the rain forest that is!

I can't wait to go back and do it again! (Fran Gellar - Area Sales Manager, Midwest)

No comments:

Post a Comment